Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NOT a morning person... (aka Mind Games part 2)

I thought maybe publicizing that I had to wake up early would actually help me do so.  Or not. It almost did. When I woke up this morning, I thought about the blog I had written last night and the fact that I probably would need to share what I actually did. That almost got me out of bed when the alarm went off. Almost.
So we all got up in a mad scramble. The pile of clean laundry that was waiting to be put away now looks like an explosion happened in my girls room. They are fully dressed in clean clothes now, so that’s all that really matters, right? My husband got home so late last night from work that all the hollering and clothes flying didn’t seem to affect him in the least. He still laid there sound asleep. Tyler almost got away with eating fish crackers for breakfast… but then I could hear my mother’s voice in my head about eating a good breakfast… and in my head I agreed with her, can’t have my teen do his Star testing on fish crackers... So words that I have heard many times out of my mother’s mouth came out of mine as I lectured him on eating some “brain food” (don’t you love when you sound like your parents?!?) So kids dressed, fed, lunches made and we are out the door. Late.
We made it to the preschool in good time. We ran in to drop off with just enough minutes to get Tyler to the testing center… just to get stopped in the hallway. “Did you know that we were have (pre-K) graduation pictures today? Don’t forget to fill out the form before you leave”. Great. I completely forgot. Why do I even keep a calendar on my smart phone if I’m not going to use it!!! I’m trying to remember what Mikayla looks like this morning… I guess I should be happy that I actually did a little something with her hair…. Running out of time… fill out the paperwork… and we are off again. Of course it seems like we hit every red light on the way to the test site. I’m only freaking out because the test results are the gage in which my homeschooling skills are being assessed by the world!!! Ok.  Exaggeration. But that’s how my mind works, even when I tell it not to…
But Christine, did you make it to the test site on time??? I know you are biting your nails in anticipation. Yes. Despite my obstacles, we walked in within a couple of minutes of the seventh graders getting called in. Cuz that’s how we do it in my house. By the skin of our teeth.  And don’t worry about my teen (I know who you are), he was calm as a cucumber and prepped for his test. He’s only been doing this stuff with me for the last 13 years. At least we didn’t get lost this time. J
It is hard work being a bad mom. So now I am rewarding myself at Starbucks.  I’m saving gas money by not driving home and back (where the coffee and breakfast is free), but I’m sitting in Starbucks instead with my Fruit, Nut, and Cheese breakfast and Cocoa Capp. Sometimes logic is just over-rated.

Note: Any self depreciating is generally in jest - no feelings were hurt during this writing session...

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Maybe I am a morning single mom, because I could relate! I am loving this blog, you do an excellent job of expressing you, I can "hear" you saying it, and I can see you talking with your hands and telling me the story - LOVE IT! And love you! (Really glad I didn't try to slow you down for a conversation at the front desk now that I know how your monring was going, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was worried about "me" coming out since I am a very animated speaker. I'm afraid it will fall flat once it's in writing.

    Ha! - I felt bad this morning with my quick "hi".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no feeling bad, I didn't feel ignored or anything. And yes "you" definitely come through and I love it! Thanks for putting a link to my blog on your page. If you're interested, I have an actual button you can use. :) But no pressure!

    ReplyDelete